[Alt-photo] Outgassing in contact-printing siderotypes

Kees Brandenburg workshops at polychrome.nl
Mon May 19 11:12:31 UTC 2014

Hello Mike,

I can confirm this. When printing ferric carbon, with Halvor Bjørngård's Chibatype , I am using yupo as coating subtrate for the pigment tissue. Yupo will not let the carbon-dioxide escape through the back of the tissue. While printing I am using a thin melinex sheet between the digital negative and the sensitive gelatin layer. I am exposing with a large home build vacuum frame with 6 mecury-vacuum (HPR) lamps. After exposure I can clearly see the melinex bubbling. In the image itself it is not visible. Maybe because of the HPR lamps,which are point light sources, allthough  I use them in two rows of 3 lamps above my 120x70cm frame, making the overall light somewhat more diffuse. With paper based processes like (classic) cyanotype, van dyke or ferric caseïn I never saw this outgassing happen.

I will do some more testing with a diffuse UV TL bank and my Eskofot plateburner.

Currently I am working mainly with diazidostilbene (CAS 2718-90-3) sensitized carbon tissue.
Some people also observed some sort of outgassing there. I do not. And it probably was not carbon-dioxide.

kind regards,

Kees Brandenburg