[Alt-photo] casein printer

Diana Bloomfield dlhbloomfield at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:14:23 UTC 2014

Hi Laura,

You are most definitely speaking to the choir here.  No explanation needed, and I'm totally with you on your 'consideration list.'  And-- yes-- more power to him (and his gallery) if he's actually getting those prices.  I was (and still am) aghast, though-- mainly because there are many very well known photographers (both dead and alive) whose iconic imagery -- while certainly costly-- do not command prices as high as that.  And while many people buy artwork just because they love it, and not for any investment potential, if I were spending that kind of money on artwork, I'd probably buy work that not only appealed to me more, but that was also classic and that probably (possibly) had more sound (stronger) investment potential.  But that's just my way of thinking.  Even a lot of very successful and well-known ("developed") painters and sculptors and amazing dead printmakers (Rockwell Kent, for instance) don't often command that kind of pricing.  So, in viewing the pricing along those lines-- yes-- I would say he's possibly over-the-top.  Of course-- if they are, indeed, 'flying off the walls' -- then I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about. ;)

Finally, while I think creating something hand-crafted at the 30x40 size is impressive and nothing short of heroic-- and making only one print (no limited edition-- just one) is incredibly admirable-- I'm not sure size itself should be a deciding factor in pricing (though making only one should be).  Time and materials are more, of course, but not that much more.  And so much of the work that I see that really appeals to me (so much more)-- both old and new-- is quite small.  And I love all those old classic prints that typically were no more than 8x10 (and, even today, cost less).  For me, the image and the process -- how they mesh, the execution, and just the personal appeal-- matter more.  So-- I guess we go back to that  age-old question-- does size *really* matter?  :)   Sometimes I envision really large images that I see at 4x5 (that's in inches), and think-- would it have the same impact if it wasn't mural size?  In my opinion, if it's a strong image, it should.

Anyway . . . that's just my way of thinking.  But, hell yes, if he can get those prices for his work-- more power to him.

Diana
dhbloomfield.com