[Alt-photo] Separating channels

Gordon Holtslander gjh at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 22 17:39:11 UTC 2014

Yes, currently (version 2.8) gimp only supports 8 bit color.

Work is in progress to support up t o 6 4bit per color channel available in 2.10
http://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap

No word on when version 2.10 will be available. IE it will be ready when its ready ...

It will be really interesting if/when GIMP supports 64 bit space, and Photoshop only supports 16 ...

A few years ago a "fork" of gimp was made to support higher bit depths. It was used in the film industry and called CinePaint.
Currently it only works on Linux and usually must be compiled from source

http://www.cinepaint.org/cinepaint-docs/

Gordon J. Holtslander
gjh at shaw.ca
Learn about HSP http://sp-foundation.org