[Alt-photo] Separating channels

Henry Rattle henry.rattle at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 23 08:56:30 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Thank you so much for solving my dilemma - so good to have friends round the
world!

Best wishes

Henry

On 22/10/2014 18:39, "Gordon Holtslander" <gjh at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Yes, currently (version 2.8) gimp only supports 8 bit color.

Work is in
> progress to support up t o 6 4bit per color channel available in 2.10

http://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap

No word on when version 2.10 will be
> available. IE it will be ready when its ready ...

It will be really
> interesting if/when GIMP supports 64 bit space, and Photoshop only supports 16

A few years ago a "fork" of gimp was made to support higher bit depths.
> It was used in the film industry and called CinePaint.
Currently it only
> works on Linux and usually must be compiled from source

http://www.cinepaint.org/cinepaint-docs/

Gordon J. Holtslander

gjh at shaw.ca
Learn about HSP http://sp-foundation.org