[Alt-photo] simple way of finding pH

Matti Koskinen mjkoskin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 07:56:33 UTC 2015

hi,

you may already know this, but red cabbage juice is quite accurate (and
cheap)  method of finding what's the pH is e.g. of a paper.

Put half of a red cabbage in a blender, filter out the juice and put a
drop of the juice on the paper. If the colour shifts towards blue, the
paper is alkalic, if the colour shifts towards red, it's acidic.

Also a piece of white coffee filter paper soaked in the juice and then
left to dry can be used to measure the pH of a liquid. My tap water is
about 8.

I came across this, while googling  where to get lakmus paper for
measuring tap water and the sodium carbonate liquid used in photopolymer
gravure . Some pharmacies here sell it, but the price of it is x30 of
the price of half of a red cabbage.

best

-m