[Alt-photo] The end of dichromate?

Jacques Kevers jacqueskv at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 14:17:59 UTC 2015

Don,
As per regulation (EU) No. 348/2013 amending Annex XIV of the REACH
Regulation (EC) n. 1907/2006, published on 18 April 2013 in the European
Union Official Journal L 108, an effective prohibition date has been set
for various products. From that date the selling as well as the use of the
mentioned substances is banned in the European Union. If one wants to
continue using or selling these substances, an authorization application
has to be submitted to the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) at the latest
18 months before the prohibition date. For the various dichromates (sodium,
potassium, ammonium) the application has to be submitted before March 21st,
2016. The prohibition becomes effective as of September 21st, 2017. The
placing on the market and use of these substances are forbidden starting
from this date. In some countries, it is already difficult to order
dichromates (I think Silverprint in the UK doesn't sell them any more). Of
course, while the sales ban is easily implemented, monitoring the use of
products held in private homes is practically impossible... So, I agree
with Christina: in Europe at least, it is time to stockpile. At this
moment, it is still possible to get potassium dichromate without problems
in Belgium.
Best,
Jacques