[Alt-photo] Light source placed in enlarger

`Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 30 04:00:30 UTC 2015

     The problem is that much of the optical material used for visible
light will not pass UV plus lenses must be made of special material and
designed for UV to focus it sharply.  UV lenses have been made for
special purposes such as high definition optical microscopes but most
photographic lenses will either not focus UV very well or won't pass it
at all. Beside the transmission of the glass one must consider optical
cements in lenses with cemented elements, again special cements are
required for UV.
     I think also that the intensity of the light may be an issue even
if it is transmitted.  Processes like cyanotype require very high
intensity light and most enlargers designed for conventional
photographic purposes are far from intense enough.  Keep in mind that
enlargers are not practical for use with old type contact printing paper
which is much more sensitive than cyanotype.

On 10/29/2015 7:30 PM, Martin magid via Alt-photo-process-list wrote:
> My 3rd question on my 1st day:
>
> I've never heard of anyone doing this, but if a UV light source is placed
> in an enlarger in place of the manufacturer's light  source, will the light
> that comes through the lens be effective for cyanotypes?
>
> I ask this because I own a very nice compact "Kodak Home Enlarger" that has
> a single 100 w. bulb as the light source and it would solve a space problem
> if it would work for cyanotypes.  It's only 100+ years old.
>
> Marty

Richard Knoppow
dickburk at ix.netcom.com
WB6KBL