[Alt-photo] salted paper

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 15:11:16 UTC 2016

Marek,

A welcome diversion as I await a download PDF of my gum book corrections which in this hotel is telling me will take 6 hours…I think I need to go to a coffee shop.

I hear you; salt can be frustrating.

Yes I do attempt to be equal with the sizing and sensitizer and measure it out pretty rigorously.

If I brush size I make sure to use 1 tsp of the salting solution and then use 1 tsp of the silver nitrate. That way the 12% silver nitrate is 6x the amount of salting solution which is a 2%.

If I tray size, who knows how much is absorbed? I checked what was left from the size after soaking my papers, but that calculates what is absorbed throughout the entire paper so I don’t know how accurate that is (but it is not as much as I thought it would be).  But so far with using 1 tsp of silver nitrate brushed on the face of an 8x10 print it has worked fine. As long as there is excess silver it seems good.

It is such a pleasure when you pull a print out of the light box and see that it is evenly exposed and deep eggplant EVERYWHERE.

What is your paper you are using? I have had best luck with the new HPR and Platine. I have had multiple problems with Bergger for some reason but my batch is older. I blame that on my technique completely but suffice it to say for starting out in salt I would recommend Platine over Bergger.

If you see areas of purple on the exposed print, it is not too little salt but moisture left in the print when exposed. Once I started getting the paper BONE dry before exposure that disappeared. I also dye my solution with blue food coloring to see it.

Chris