[Alt-photo] oxalate ferric problem

Keith Schreiber keith at jkschreiber.com
Sat Mar 5 21:09:38 UTC 2016

Sullivan specifically recommended dancing to Chubbie Checker! Part of the magic I guess. ;)

The EDTA and oxalic acid are not necessary, though I too have been using them for many years. I just did a test with and without and found that exposure time was slightly faster with the additives, Dmax was slightly higher without them. The latter part of this is contrary to what I and most everyone else have believed about this for as long as I can remember. I think the difference is pretty much insignificant though, so I am not trying to discourage anyone from using them.

There are a couple of articles on the B&S website that you might find interesting if you are not already familiar with them. They are actually rather old but undated. I think it is all drawn from things Sullivan had published elsewhere in the '80s and '90s.
All About Ferric Oxalate <>
The Care and Feeding of Ferric Oxalate <>

According to Dana at B&S, repeated cycles of heating and cooling do more harm than good.

Ferric oxalate is the cheap part of these processes. If your stock is really from 2003, I strongly recommend replacing it. If you meant 2013, it might still be useable. My old supply was from 2012 or 2013 and I am giving up on it.

~ Keith