[Alt-photo] salted paper

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 00:32:03 UTC 2016

Jorj, Dennis, Kees, Fernando,
Thank you for your answers.
It was a time consuming and expensive mistake. I threw away 20 sheets of salted paper just now.
If I had known what Kees suggested when the first Bergger print came out of the processing baths that it was my brush sizing method at fault I would have saved an entire day’s printing if not the sized paper. I just assumed it was a fluke, kept printing, but when all the brush-sized paper did it, that’s when I realized it was no fluke but operator error.
What a PITA. I can handle the cost, but the time waste was really discouraging. Made me want to quit and go back to the ease of gum!
I went back to my notes and the batch I had brush sized a couple weeks ago, I had presoaked and then brush sized so the paper was suitably wet through and through when it absorbed the sizing.  I don’t know why I decided this time to skip the presoak stage!
Today I was able to print the images on the tray-sized Platine and nary a spot.
I doubt I will attempt to brush size in the future, as long as my prints are 11x14 or smaller.
I will now tray-size Bergger, Kees, to make sure there isn’t another factor at play but I think you nailed the reason.
Now for humidity: I am operating at probably 15% humidity and I have found that if I wait to expose until the sensitized paper is bone dry, all proceeds well. But the uneven wetness at the SALTING stage was a huge problem.
Another thing I found out? I am using a +30 ink density on Pictorico Premium, not ultra. I kept having these marks in the sky of this one image and assumed it was my uneven brush strokes. Then I saw it upon scrutinizing the negative. My point for sharing this is that a) I will buy Ultra when upping ink density b) Salt will pick up EVERY nuance and I mean every, even that hardly visible to the eye and c) those who say there’s a lot of bleaching that goes on in the fix? Well, I am using B&W paper strength Photographer’s Formulary TF-4 fix, an alkaline fix, HOPING to bleach out that unevenness in the sky and not a budge.
The end. Thanks for being there for me, alt list. Back to the drawing board, as they say.
Chris