[Alt-photo] Alt-photo-process-list Digest, Vol 101, Issue 2

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 13:04:15 UTC 2016

Mark,
Thank you for this! This is great and just what I needed. I am thankful I have always pronounced it the correct way (PicTORico) and I have been corrected a number of times. Another word I find pronounced two ways is “posterization.” I pronounce it with a long “o” as in poh which is also the way the dictionary does and is how poster is pronounced but maybe the photography community does it differently. Then you get into artist names and I butcher them all the time...

Pictorico has always worked fine for me because I have never had the need to go up in ink density until now. +30 is fine for salted paper at 24 minutes exposure, but if I want to recalibrate around a higher printing time I might have to go up higher so I have the ultra on order. I don’t know yet if it will make a better print (the longer exposure) but wanted to test it.

As an aside, I just replaced my bulbs in my Edwards unit after (gasp) 13 years and thought I’d really see a huge difference in time and the new bulbs are negligibly faster, maybe 1/3 stop. That really surprised me with the use it gets. Well, I have this small one and then a big one and perhaps I use it less than the big one, but still. 13 years!!

I had that problem with emulsion coming off to the touch or on a print with the really thin Photo Warehouse stuff. Now THAT stuff was thin! I was able to use it with the 2200 way back 10 years ago but from the 2400 on I switched to Pictorico. I’ve generally only used the Inkpress at workshops and sometimes it’s great and sometimes not and last year was the last straw for me. We had more ruined negatives because of edge curl so there was no cost savings.

Can you tell me what kind of density change goes on with curing: gets more dense I assume with time? And how much more (in stops) all told?

Chris