[Alt-photo] mat boards -any unbuffered boards out there?

Ned Lewis nl at nedlewis.org
Mon Sep 12 22:15:26 UTC 2016

Hi Greg,

I've seen that site before.  They use the term *calotype* to also describe
salted paper prints.

( I use the term *calotype* to refer only to the negative, usually made
from silver iodide +/- a little bromide, but there was a time when the
negatives and positives were both colloquially called and sold as
"calotypes" )

I also use the Crescent unbuffered mat board as the backing and the window
mat for my salt prints.  I haven't yet framed a calotype, but would use
unbuffered board for those too if I did.

If you want white, there are only the two choices: "white" and "antique
white", product numbers are 2295 and 2298 respectively.  My local art store
can order it for me, at not much more cost than Jerry's.  To my eye, the
"white" is too bright and looks odd with my prints, but it depends a lot on
what paper you print on.  Probably best to order both and hold your prints
up in good light.... the one you end up not using can still be a backing
board.

Best Regards,

Ned

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Greg Franco via Alt-photo-process-list <