[Alt-photo] salted paper

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 15:06:52 UTC 2016

How exciting; I have added quite a few of you now to my list!

Serdar, did you do Thomson’s formula of 1908?

18g cupric chloride
18g gum arabic
1 liter water
up to 1ml potassium dichromate 1% optional.
Silver is 12.5% with 5.7% added citric and 0.5% gum arabic.

He goes on to say that either ammonium or sodium will suffice as well.

I think Marek might have tried it, too, and found it a bust. Marek, am I remembering this correctly?

I can count that in all the formulas I recorded 88 use ammonium 66 use sodium 7 use barium, 1 cupric, 1 strontium. So obviously barium, cupric, strontium were outliers. I’ve used barium and did not like it. I sized some more sheets with it to see if I still feel that way. The color was a poopy yellow-brown and the paper felt like it had a deposit on it, scratchy.

64 gelatin 26 arrowroot or common starch, 54 no sizing agent, 3 agar agar, 1 Icelandic moss.

Of course, by far albumen is ubiquitous in the literature but I wasn’t researching it.

In other words I can see trends, e.g. from no sizing at all until gelatin came in and in the late 1800s arrowroot was talked about a lot because  glossy was out, matte was in, and it was perfect for platinum toning.

The big variance is in the amount of gelatin. 1-28g per liter. I usually use 8, tried 20 and I did not notice any benefit to a larger amount. The most common amount back in the day was 2.3g

OK enough geeking out for the day.

Chris