[Alt-photo] Digital negatives help?

John Brewer john at johnbrewerphotography.com
Sun Sep 18 14:48:41 UTC 2016

Hi Henry

If you can increase your exposure times this will increase contrast. I use
light yellow lighting gels which are cheap but anything that acts as a
neutral density filter will work. Or move your UV light source further away.

The Victorians did this to increase contrast by putting their frames in the
shadows rather than in direct sunlight.

John

On 16 September 2016 at 11:26, Henry Rattle via Alt-photo-process-list <

> Hello Alt friends,
> For years I have made my gum prints using colorised negatives following
> Mark's excellent PDN method. My domestic printers have been sufficient for
> this - clearly the dyes are nicely opaque at the wavelengths for gum.
> However this doesn't work for salt - presumably responds to different
> wavelengths. In the end I resorted to sandwiching two (black printed on my
> Pixma 6250) transparencies to produce enough density, and finally made my
> first couple of usable salt prints (only 18 tries!). Given that the budget
> won't run to a new printer for digital negatives, is there any way to
> produce enough density on the Canon or my Epson 1500W to make properly
> curved negs for salt?
>
> By the way, the new gum book is stunning! Thank you Chris!
>
> Best wishes
>
> Henry
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On 13 Sep 2016, at 17:03, Clay Harmon via Alt-photo-process-list <
> >
> > The photo was taken near the Eiffel tower at night. She was this
> elegantly dressed Parisian woman who was sitting on a bench making a phone
> call. I happened to turn around and for a very brief instant became a Paris
> street photographer. One of the few times I knew the instant I clicked the
> shutter that I would have a 'keeper'.
> >
> > -clay
> >

> >> On Sep 13, 2016, at 10:36 AM, Christina Z. Anderson via
> Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks, Clay (blush blush),
> >> I think your film noir work in the pd over gum chapter is a great pause
> in color and mood for the how-to section. I have to ask, who’s the woman in
> the heels?
> >> Chris

> else has noted, the color quality is excellent.

> it contain a great deal of useful information about gum printing, but it
> also is an fairly comprehensive snapshot of the current state of the gum
> printing practice. Devoting the last half of the book to the work of other
> artists is such a generous gesture!

> Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>

> shared a tip with me that for some reason, going from SRGB (not Adobe 1998)
> to CMYK had better color fidelity and he was right. I converted everyone’s
> images to sRGB before converting them to CMYK when it went to print.
> There’s a reason for that I’m sure but I don’t understand presses enough to
> explain it. Maybe Adobe is too much info to convert correctly or something?

> book publication I notice that there are always a couple anomalies, a
> picture here and there that doesn’t print exactly right, and I have no idea
> why, but it’s a crap shoot when getting files from others and trying to
> edit them first in RGB and then CMYK. Print goes darker and duller than
> screen not to mention RGB to CMYK.

> pigment samples really turned out like the real thing. That was quite
> [...]

John Brewer
www.thevictorianphotographer.com
www.johnbrewerphotography.com
workshops:equipment sales:chemistry sales