[Alt-photo] Digital negatives help?

Don donsbryant at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 21:19:56 UTC 2016

Henry,
Here is a technique for increasing density of colorized negatives by using a
layer of black ink. This method was developed by David Harris and posted by
Sandy King on APUG a few years ago:

%>------------------------------- Snip ---------------------------------

The idea is based on the fact that one can get plenty of contrast out of the
neutral black inks of the Epson 2200 and that the best method for working
with this printer with processes such as albumen, salted paper and VDB is to
blend in a little black with one of the colors of the color palette.

Remember, you are starting with the 360 dpi tonal palette, having previously
determined that a particular combination based on Green gave the highest
contrast, but still not high enough for your process. With that information,
and using the modified file of the palette with the green fill color already
added, here is what David suggested.

1. Set up a new layer above the green color fill layer.
2. Fill the new layer with black.
3. Set blend mode for new layer to multiply.
4. Choose blending options for the new layer and move the white sliders on
the Blend if underlying layer scale, pressing the Alt key to separate the
two white sliders. Move the sliders until about the darkest 20 squares or so
on the tonal palette are visibly darkened - I found this to be 50/175. I
chose 20 squares so that the blend in would be very gradual.
5. Reduce the opacity of the new layer. You will need to do some tests with
your alt process to determine the correct opacity. I found 2% to be right
for palladium toned POP - when printed it produces tone in the 100 square,
but 101 is pure white (I prefer to have a pure white, others might prefer to
have some tone).

In my case the maximum Dmax possible, as measured by a densitometer in UV
mode, ranged from about log 2.30, with opacity of the black layer set to 0%,
to log 2.5 with opacity set at 50%, and over log 3.0 with opacity set to
75%.

In theory this range should prove adequate for processes such as VDB,
albumen and salted paper that require negatives of very high CI.

Just a couple of caveats to keep in mind. Sandy's remarks and results were
based on using an Epson 2200, a pigmented ink printer. Black Claria inks
used in the 1500 are dye based so the maximum ink density maybe less.

You will certainly have to go through a few iterations of testing to get the
opacity settings trimmed so don't get discouraged if you don't have success
on the first pass.

Good luck,

Don Bryant