[Alt-photo] Antwort: Re: ammonio-nitrate

udo.schnitzbauer at uzh.ch udo.schnitzbauer at uzh.ch
Tue Sep 20 03:58:30 UTC 2016

Dear Jim,

not only dryness can be a problem. Long time ago I tried to prepare this compound. I got a nice precipitate (very small amount) in the Erlenmeyer flask. After washing with water, I tried to get a small sample with a Pasteur pipette. I touched the bottom of the flask with the glass tip and suddenly there was a very strong cracking noise, like a toy torpedo, even the whole precipitate was under water. After that experience, I poured the content of the flask down the sink with plenty of water and tried this never again.
So from this lection I think it´s a bad idea to store bigger amounts of a silver nitrate and ammonia mixture and/or let accumulate waste solutions of this stuff. Additionally if you have supplies or stock solutions, check regularly if a precipitate is forming.

Udo