[Alt-photo] Tear Bar suggestions?

Jack Brubaker jack at jackbrubaker.com
Sat Sep 24 02:16:20 UTC 2016

I made a heavy tear bar that is about 36 inches long and has a straight
edge and an edge that I shaped to a randomly non-straight pattern with an
angle grinder. Both edges are beveled to let the paper clear the nearly
quarter inch thick steel when pulling the paper back across the bar to
tear. It makes an edge that won't fool anyone who knows paper but blends
well with a natural deckle when dividing a full sheet that has natural
deckles. I use it to tear up a sheet for printing etchings and engravings.
When I do that I'm processing too much paper to take the time to wet the
edge. I don't do it if I'll be printing with gum on non-sized on pre-sized
paper since the torn edge catches and holds a lot of color that it absorbs
from the wash bath.