[Alt-photo] the alt family tree

Laura Valentino lv at lauraval.com
Wed Aug 2 20:07:22 UTC 2017

My intro to alt was from a random stranger on a usenet group back in the
mid-90s. The funny thing is that I was not even doing photography at the
time, I was doing vector artwork on the computer and was looking for a
way to print onto fine art paper. Someone suggested gum bichromate of
all things (why not silkscreen?). Whoever it was (wish I knew today)
said it's cool because you develop in water and you can use any color,
even metallic gouache colors like silver and gold.

I was intrigued so I googled (or webcrawled) and found the alt photo
website and this list. I did a few attempts at gum (using a single
blacklight bulb) but didn't really get going until much later, when I
took a 5-day alt sampler class at Central Saint Martins in London.
Finally some hands-on experience and the inspiration to come back home
and get serious.

But this list, and Christina's book is where I mostly got my alt
education. And many failed attempts.

I did try the silver and gold eventually, but was not very impressed
with the results!

Laura