[Alt-photo] HT-2 residual hypo test

Gordon Holtslander gjh at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 5 17:46:44 UTC 2017

>From Facts and Formula's

HT-1a

Distilled water 180cc
Potassium permagnate 0.3 g
Sodium hydroxide 0.6 g
distilled water to make 250cc

take 250cc of pure water in a clear glass and add 1 cc of test solution. Then take one 8x10" film or plate from the wash water and allo the water to drip for 30 seconds from its surface into the galss containing the test solution.

If a small percentage of hype is present the violet color will change to orange in about 30 seconds. with larger concentrations of hype the orange color witll change to yellow.

when no change in the violet color occurs this indicates that the hype content has been reduced to a safe margin.

oxided organic matter in the water reacts and chnages the color in the same manner. test tap water alone and see if color changes, using same volume of water from paper. Note color change. If hypo from paper is present color will change more.

Gordon J. Holtslander
gjh at shaw.ca
Learn about HSP http://sp-foundation.org