[Alt-photo] Sodium Thiocyanate For Fixing Out Lumens

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Fri Aug 18 03:55:14 UTC 2017

I forgot to advertise my own work.

Fujifilm Ag Guard is effective in protecting silver image from oxidative
attacks (that is not my work, though I confirmed it myself).

So is an alkaline solution of 2-mercaptobenzimidazole (formula in my
paper)

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2011JSPST..73..180S

The actual paper in PDF (Japanese language only) is here:
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/photogrst/73/3/73_3_180/_pdf

I sent it to Doug Nishimura and Gawain Weaver and asked if it's worth
publishing in English. Some said no one was researching conservation of
silver imaging material (no more research funds).... don't bother. Some
also cautioned me that professional conservators are discouraged from
performing any process that chemically alters the image, silver or
otherwise. Although Ag Guard and 2-MBI do not alter the image itself
(that is the point of this approach, as opposed to toning), and this
point is explained in the paper, the distinction probably is not very
clear to average conservators. So, no, there is no English version
published anywhere. (Besides, this journal was one of the very few last
remaining journals that published new researches on silver imaging... at
that time back in 2010/2011.)

Ryuji Suzuki
"I always tell my college students that two thirds of you will be more
boring at age 30 than you are now." (David Brooks)