[Alt-photo] Sodium Thiocyanate For Fixing Out Lumens

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Fri Aug 18 04:38:17 UTC 2017

No worries, the world moved on, and I moved on, as far as professional
life goes. I spend much of my time as commercial and portrait
photographer and, guess what, I shoot digital for those, although I have
many of my silver prints on my studio walls, two Durst enlargers
standing here, and boxes of films and film a few film cameras on my
desks.

Agfa had a product called SISTAN, which was essentially a finishing
surfactant (wetting agent) with a very dilute thiocyanate mixed in.
There was a controversy as to what was the range of safe and effective
concentration, because above a certain level of thiocyanate
concentration, this agent was actually detrimental. Too weak, and it was
ineffective. AGFA itself revised their recommendation. Independent
research to replicate their claim was limited. That is what you
(Richard) was worried about back then.

Fujifilm had a product called Ag Guard. This product had an advantage
over SISTAN because there was no harm using too much or too strong of a
solution. But it wasn't sold outside Japan, and it also used an organic
compound that was not readily available. The compound is also not
exactly easy to synthesize (see the patents referenced from my paper).
Ag Guard was one product that would be not exactly impossible but
absolutely cost prohibitive if you tried to mix your own, even after the
patent expired.

I was looking for a compound that would be readily and inexpensively
available even after the silver halide imaging industry is completely
gone and still very effective for image protection. One of the anonymous
reviewers apparently didn't like this part and advocated to use Ag Guard
for image protection purposes, which made me guess that the editor sent
my manuscript to the guy who invented Ag Guard (but of course, there is
no way to confirm that). I think the other reviewer was a very well
informed professional conservator and s/he was very positive about my
work.

One caution. Thiourea was mentioned as potentially useful image
protecting agent for many reasons in some places, but there was no
published work proving or clearly rejecting this. I tested it (not in
this paper), and I should say that this compound shouldn't be used as a
protecting agent for silver image. It slowly discolors silver image over
the course of a few years in normal storage conditions. Not exactly in
the context of protecting developed out silver image, but guess who knew
that many decades prior, and that was of course James.

Ryuji Suzuki
"The essence of the beautiful is unity in variety." (Felix Mendelssohn)