[Alt-photo] Sodium Thiocyanate For Fixing Out Lumens

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Fri Aug 18 22:38:44 UTC 2017

In silver-gelatin prints, plates and films, silver image is suspended in
gelatin layer, which acts as a weak barrier between the air and the
silver image, as well as holding the image mechanically. In most modern
silver imaging materials, there is a clear gelatin overcoat that does
not hold the image.

In salted paper print, this binder is absent. Silver image is almost
directly exposed to the air.

I would expect salted paper print to be more vulnerable to airborne
oxidative attacks than silver gelatin IF other conditions are equal
(including the silver image morphology, residue of any processing
chemical, etc.). If you were to apply an image-protecting treatment to
salt prints anyway, it's probably a good idea to include gelatin or
polyacrylates or some other binder blends that are used in manufacturing
of silver gelatin materials. Whether additional binder layer will
significantly increase the protective strength when applied to albumen
or collodion materials, it's not easy to predict. In collodion plates,
albumen prints, etc., there is at least some binder that holds the
image. I don't recall a research that studied relative magnitudes of the
protection of each material type.

Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there" (Miles Davis)