[Alt-photo] good little book

Dennis Moser dennis.moser at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 16:41:47 UTC 2017

in re: scanning and digitizing of books, et cetera

1. The reason why there are a number of scanning/digitizing operations in
India are a.) cheap labor b.) error-checking of OCR text is actually easier
if you DON'T speak/read the language of the text because you don't waste
time actually "reading" it, you're doing pattern recognition.

2. If you're submitting materials to be digitized, ALWAYS ask a.) can you
get the originals back and b.) if not, are they guillotining the books to
facilitate the scanning (they cut the backs off the books so the pages can
be fed into the high-speed scanners) and in which case, I don't recommend
using that vendor.

In my former life, I was very much involved in this, so I'm a little less
sanguine about some aspects of it. Too many of the vendors were destroying
the physical texts, with little or no regard to things like annotations on
the pages.

Best,

Dennis Moser
Ex-librarian/archivist

~~
If your first move is brilliant, you’re in trouble. You don’t really know
how to follow it; you’re frightened of ruining it. So, to make a mess is a
good beginning. — Brian Eno

On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Matthew Magruder via
Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>