[Alt-photo] good little book

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 14:15:41 UTC 2017

Dennis,

This is an interesting perspective. I did not know they destroyed the books to do the scanning but of course!! It makes sense they’d pull the binding apart.

Last time I was at Eastman House Library it was really depressing. All other times I had been there I requested books and they’d have them on a cart for me every morning and I was allowed to go through all books and photograph pages.

This past time, now maybe the librarian was understaffed, disgruntled, didn’t like me for reasons unknown, but she literally stood by me the whole time and she was the one who turned the pages for me. Can you imagine how uncomfortable that was??!! It had nothing to do with the age of the book because I had looked at far older in the past.

The whole point of libraries is accessibility, and all those old books in that library, it makes me cringe to think they’d be lost to the researcher.

So for now the scanned versions will have to do, especially since flying and staying in Rochester costs me an arm and a leg when they’re only opened a few days a week and very limited hours.

Chris

PS DIck S. thanks for the synopsis on copyright.