[Alt-photo] cyanotype paper

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 16:12:24 UTC 2017

Dear Alberto,

You started me on this trend a long time ago when you posted the topic of bleeding and information you had found in patents on the list. Since then I have changed the typical 20%/8% you see quoted in books, including my own, to a minimum of 20%/10% to make sure the ratio is no greater than 2:1 (I know you had discussed molar amounts and yours was 18/8). The sky didn’t fall in.

Then through my research into formulas I found that they were so completely all over the board that I started testing a 4:1 FAC:PF to 1:4 FAC:PF and was surprised how little difference it makes. You still get a print. However, the speed is slower. But the color is more turquoise and less navy (goes more green than red) and it is much smoother.

When I began testing papers for my upcoming cyanotype intensive class spring semester, since I started with the 10/10 I just kept on, to keep apples to apples. When I narrow down to a few select papers I’ll go back to the 20/10 to see if the speed increase is worth it over the smoothness and color I prefer.

When I was using the 20/8 I was also often using 2A:1B or 40:8! No wonder I had bleeding and it was you, Alberto, who saved the day!

Chris

PS Another paper I have had great luck with is Clearprint 1020H. 100% cotton. It amounts to about 20¢ for a 9x12! This and Canson U-Sketch/Crob Art have to be about the cheapest (14¢ a 9x12) but the Clearprint specifies cotton and archival and the Canson does not say what the paper is made of. I do tape the paper down when coating. I much prefer it to the lighter weight 100H Clearprint but the lighter weight is conveniently often sold in small pads.

https://www.amazon.com/CLEARPRINT-VELLUM-1000HP-18X24-PAD/dp/B000KNL9PM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512230214&sr=8-4&keywords=clearprint+1020 <https://www.amazon.com/CLEARPRINT-VELLUM-1000HP-18X24-PAD/dp/B000KNL9PM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512230214&sr=8-4&keywords=clearprint+1020>
http://www.michaels.com/canson-universal-sketch-pad/M10121123.html <http://www.michaels.com/canson-universal-sketch-pad/M10121123.html>