[Alt-photo] cyanotype paper

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 15:02:37 UTC 2017

Dick,

I have seen that silver nitrate formula often: Wall, Brown’s Ferric and Heliographic Processes, Hoppé, Photographic News... One calls it “Imitation Platinotype.” I have lots of silver nitrate lying around from salted paper and planned on trying it one of these days.

Silica seems to be a holy grail with pt/pd. Am I right in that assessment? I have never used it. I read on your website that you suggest it deals with the buffering in the paper, or does it attract humidity so the paper remains moist or what?  What exactly is its role in pt/pd?

I tried to find the pH of fumed silica and it seems it might be on the acid side. If so, that would be good for cyanotype and its problem with alkaline papers.

Just thinking aloud here, trying to see if its pH or its humidity effects are what are improving the cyanotype process for you.

Ware says he has not found humidity to be a factor in cyanotype as in other processes (p. 181 Cyanomicon II) and so far that has been my case, too, which, of course, makes it quite user-friendly for a Montana climate.

But the ubiquitous calcium carbonate buffering is such a PIMA with cyanotype and if silica did, in fact, improve that, it’d be a great ingredient to have on hand.

Chris