[Alt-photo] was cyanotype paper => fumed silica

Kees Brandenburg workshops at polychrome.nl
Wed Dec 6 08:32:01 UTC 2017

> On 5 dec. 2017, at 23:16, Victor Malakhov via Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org> wrote:
>
> Does someone have experience with silica in Europe (pref. in Germany)?

Hi Victor,

I have easily found Aerolsil-380 by Evonik here in the netherlands. I’s a hydrofilic fumed silica. The 380 stands for the particle size, more precize the number of square meters sparticle surface per gram. From the product sheet it is CAS 112945-52-5 / CAS 7631-86–9. Take care not to buy the hydrofobic silica, it won't work. It will repell all liquids. Also as the powder is very light  300gr is a bucket full!

https://www.aerosil.com/www2/uploads/productfinder/AEROSIL-380-EN.pdf

Aerosil is also used as a filler in epoxies used by boat builders. It can be easily found in that area.

I have done some simple tests with cyanotype, dry and wet coated, and it works. Haven’t tested it with carbon yet. But as it is also used in inkjet coating formula's it will absolutely make the gelatin in the final paper more receptive. To be tested though. Your suggestion to use silica for a matte coating for carbon is interesting.

Kees