[Alt-photo] To wax or not to wax?

victor.malakhov at gmx.de victor.malakhov at gmx.de
Wed Dec 6 08:40:54 UTC 2017

Hi Rob,

I sometimes wax my cyanos in order to get glossier, clearer image with
better  micro  contrasts.  There  is  actually no need to increase the
permanence of a cyano, it's long living enough. But still you will get
some  more protection and stability of the surface. The only point you
have  to  consider: the cerate coat will tone your image slightly warm
and  is  quite  prone  to  dust  and other impurities which are flying
around and can be attracted by the coat.

I make my cerate for coating by myself, for that you need the best and
clearest beewax (cera), turpentine and damar resin. I can give you the
precise recipe later if you need. Or you can just look it up in one of
the  books  by  Peter  Mrhar,  I  think it was in the book to the salt
prints.

The finish mixture is kind of a soft paste, which you can easily apply
to  the picture's surface with a piece of clear cotton cloth formed to
a  ball.  Then  I  polish  it with a second ball or even with a harder
brush - just like you would do it with your shoes :)

best,
Victor

> Hi All,

> I was wondering what folks think about waxing prints. Does it make
> a difference to the image either visually or to its permanence? If
> you recommend it, what is your process?

> Thanks

> Rob

Victor Malakhov