[Alt-photo] Salted Paper Success

Earl Johnson earlj at comcast.net
Fri Dec 15 17:00:37 UTC 2017

Thank you to Christina (and to Marek) for the salted paper book. I am once again in love with this process. The combination of citric acid in the salting solution and a double coat of silver nitrate has made all of my salt printing problems disappear. I soaked a stack of Arches Platine (of unknown age) in sodium chloride and citric acid. Double coating with 15% silver nitrate and gold toning (gold/thiourea toner) are giving me a lovely long, smooth tonal scale, good dmax, and lovely clear highlights. The correction curves for my QTR negatives are mild. I think that this will be my process of choice for the foreseeable future.

I can’t wait to try arrowroot and agar agar. But they will have to wait until my Christmas gifts are printed.

Happy holidays, everyone!

Earl Johnson

Sent from my iPad