[Alt-photo] Salted Paper Success

Earl Johnson earlj at comcast.net
Mon Dec 18 21:04:27 UTC 2017

Marek:

I am sorry to hear about your water problems. My family was flooded to 42 inches deep on the main floor in 1964, so I know how much work it is to clean up the mess.

I have been printing on HPR exclusively since it first came out. I had a stash of Platine from some time ago, and your section of Christina's book seems to indicate that citric acid in the salting solution makes most papers work, so I tried it. It works, at least on this paper.

I ordered some carrageenan on Christina's recommendation. I have some experience with agar agar, but I have always found it difficult to work with due to its high gel melting temperature. It will be interesting to see if the acid addition will help make it easier to use. I found some specifications on line that indicate that the melting temperature of carrageenan gel is 50 to 70 degrees C, which causes me to wonder if I might be able to coat it onto paper using a threaded rod, rather than treating it with the acid. I am looking for both a size for salted paper as well as a surface that will work for the final support for carbon transfer. Sandy King's carbon transfer group has done a lot of experimentation with different treatments for art paper for carbon transfer, and I think that some cross-pollination between that knowledge and sizing work done for other processes might prove useful.

In any case, I will report anything that I learn.

Thanks again for your contributions to Chris' book, and good luck putting your house back together.

Earl