[Alt-photo] Gum Print on Wood (Edward Draper)

Edward Draper platinumprinz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 22:20:28 UTC 2017

Udo, hi

A few years ago I did a lot of gum on wood - mainly marine plywood (4mm),
but also MDF

I found that that I could use the wood untreated straight from from the
shop - it was a little variable but I got lovely results, much better than
any 'sizing' I tried

Most of them have gone to good homes (these prints have been very
successful for me), but here's a snapshot of one I've got with me now - (I
only prepared the wood under the subjects, the two mackerel)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9at8j5sk6plorgh/AACH5iZtap5_Smi_bbf1d4d1a?dl=0

One coat

I used Winsor & Newton pigments in a 50:50 gum and potassium dichromate
(saturated). 7 minute exposure. Not soaked but washed with a handheld
shower at about 25 deg C with soft flow - gives me much better control

Before they go up on the wall I seal them in oil (linseed works well)

Hope this helps,

Edward