[Alt-photo] the alt family tree

Alberto Novo alt.list at albertonovo.it
Tue Jul 25 06:06:35 UTC 2017

Hi Chris,
my very first contact with alt-print were two issues of "Progresso Fotografico" November and December 1978 dealing with what were called "New Trends". There were recipes about POP prints, Platinum, Palladium, Carbon, Kallitype, Bromoil, Daguerreotype, Calotype, Tonings, Resinotype, Gum Bichromate, etc.
Pictures from Demachy, Steiche, Sudek, Neal, Nadeau, Penn, Tice, Echague, Batho, Pinto, Mortensen, ..., Cordier, Brihat, Sudre.
I was interested in everything was alternative to the traditional way to print a picture. I already printed Sabattier, posterization, embossing and their combination, but those examples were really different and captivating.
I missed my darkroom for about ten years and I coudn't continue my experiments, but in 1998 I found a booklet titled Manuale Antiche Tecniche (Manual of Old Techniques) printed in 1994 collecting the experiences of the newborn Gruppo Rodolfo Namias. In a year I started printing gum bichromate, salt print, Van Dyke and cyanotype. I had two my solo exhibition in 2000 "On the Thread of a Dream" and in 2001 "From PC to Salt Print", etc.
In 2001 I joined the Rodolfo Namias Group... and you know the following.

Alberto