[Alt-photo] masking edges

Mary gneissgirl at cableone.net
Tue Jun 13 22:16:16 UTC 2017

Hi Bob and everyone,

I have used the 3m blue painter’s tape successfully with gum prints with only rare damage to the paper. Things are usually fine if I follow the following step, which, IIRC, Paul Viapiano suggested a long time ago on this list:
Press the sticky side of the tape on your jeans, sweater, or other piece of fuzzy clothing to moderate the stickiness before applying it to the paper. This is normally just enough to temper the stickiness and prevent tearing when you remove it. I press the back of my thumbnail along the inner edge to keep leaks away. If there are little bubbles of emulsion that leak around the edges, they can easily be removed during development with a fine brush. Of course, for cyanotype and Pt/Pd this doesn’t work!

I try to remember to remove the tape by pulling at a right angle to the edge (but in the plane of the paper) instead of straight up. Not sure, but that seems to help prevent tears. Of both kinds.

Also, I think there are a couple of different versions of the blue tape. The one I like says “original” for multi-surfaces and is supposed to be easily removable for 14 days. The number is #2090.

Finally, I mostly use Fabriano Artistico paper but have not had good luck at all with this tape and this technique with HPR. Tears every time…..both kinds : (

Cheers,
Mary Donato

www.alternative-ego.com <http://www.alternative-ego.com/>