[Alt-photo] Platine

forums at walkerblackwell.com forums at walkerblackwell.com
Thu Jun 29 19:48:13 UTC 2017

I believe Arches is owned by Munksjo now as of 2015. Munksjo is the parent company (two rich brothers from Switzerland I think? I do not remember.).  Anyway, this was part of the reason for the fallout between Canson and Arches last few years. Arches pulled Canson’s exclusivity after several hundred years of business together is the story I was told. The main R&D guy that created Arches Platine (Philippe) is the R&D guy for Canson btw. I would be very interested if Canson followed in the footsteps of Hahnemuhle and came out with a contemporary Platinum paper using what know-how Philippe has in his brain . . . but . . . . now Canson has been bought and bought again and just yesterday I got a little email saying that Canson (Infinity not fine art) will be distributed by Legion (which also has a hand in Magnani Revere paper, and is exclusive for Moab distro btw).

In short, things are changing very rapidly among the big old paper houses (Arches, Canson). The ones that seem to be solid are Hahnemuhle and Fabriano but who can tell in this topsy turvy world we live in.

best,
Walker