[Alt-photo] Platine

Keith Schreiber keith at jkschreiber.com
Thu Jun 29 20:34:33 UTC 2017

Interesting history from the Arches website. I didn't know about the Munksjo part. My guess is they are Swedish, not Swiss.

1956: Four competing paper mills, ARches, JOhannot, MArais and RIves, merged. The first French papermaking group, ARJOMARI, was born.

1991: ARJOMARI merged with Anglo-American papermaker WTA to become ARJO WIGGINS.

2011: International paper group MUNKSJÖ became the new owner of ARCHES®.

2013: Creation of Munksjö Oyj following the merger of Munksjö AB (Sweden) and the “Label and Processing” division of Ahlstrom Corporation (Finland).

June 2013: Munksjö Oyj’s shares began trading on the NASDAQ OMX in Helsinki.

December 2014: Munksjö Oyj’s shares began trading on the Stockholm NASDAQ.

Cheers,
Keith

Keith Schreiber
jkschreiber.com

> On Jun 29, 2017, at 1:48 PM, forums--- via Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org> wrote:
>
> I believe Arches is owned by Munksjo now as of 2015. Munksjo is the parent company (two rich brothers from Switzerland I think? I do not remember.).  Anyway, this was part of the reason for the fallout between Canson and Arches last few years. Arches pulled Canson’s exclusivity after several hundred years of business together is the story I was told. The main R&D guy that created Arches Platine (Philippe) is the R&D guy for Canson btw. I would be very interested if Canson followed in the footsteps of Hahnemuhle and came out with a contemporary Platinum paper using what know-how Philippe has in his brain . . . but . . . . now Canson has been bought and bought again and just yesterday I got a little email saying that Canson (Infinity not fine art) will be distributed by Legion (which also has a hand in Magnani Revere paper, and is exclusive for Moab distro btw).
>
> In short, things are changing very rapidly among the big old paper houses (Arches, Canson). The ones that seem to be solid are Hahnemuhle and Fabriano but who can tell in this topsy turvy world we live in.
>
> best,
> Walker
>

>> On Jun 29, 2017, at 3:12 PM, Christina Z. Anderson via Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org> wrote:
>>
>> Jean,
>> WHOOPS.
>> I replied to Babak and it apparently didn’t go to the list.
>>
>> Dear Babak,
>> This is very interesting, the new name (Munksjo) associated. Someone could tell you if that has always been the case or is a new partnership because I haven’t a clue.
>> Chris
>>

>>> Maryvonne HUMILIERE
>>> Sales Assistant
>>> Tel : +33.3.29.32.81.84
>>>
>>> AHLSTROM-MUNKSJÖ. ARCHES
>>> 48 Route de Remiremont. F-88380 Arches
>>> maryvonne.humiliere at ahlstrom-munksjo.com <mailto:maryvonne.humiliere at ahlstrom-munksjo.com>