[Alt-photo] digital neg drying

`Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Sun May 7 19:48:16 UTC 2017

    I am not familiar enough with the material used for digital
negatives but if its anything like conventional film you want to avoid
drying it too fast.  I assume its the ink that needs to be dried. Bob
lives where the RH is mostly pretty high so some warming of the air will
help drying. In Los Angeles the RH varies all over the place from
tropical to desert. When we have our driest weather I have had roll film
dry in ten minutes just hanging up. When it gets humid, as it is now, it
may take many hours.

On 5/7/2017 12:33 PM, Bob Cornelis via Alt-photo-process-list wrote:
> David
>
> Thanks for sharing your experience.
>
> I was also curious if the only criteria for the neg being ready to use is
> that it not stick to the coated paper or if there are other qualities that
> change over time that can make a difference.
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> Bob
>
> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 11:14 AM, David Christensen via
> Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Bob - I've been printing digital negs on a 1430 using Pictorico Ultra and
>> Piezography inks.  After about five minutes, I use a hairdryer on a low
>> cool/warm setting and move it over the neg about 10 inches away for three
>> minutes.  I've had no problems with the neg sticking to the carbon tissue
>> I'm using.
>>
>> David
>>

>> On 2017-05-07 11:13 AM, Bob Cornelis via Alt-photo-process-list wrote:
>>
>>> I usually try to let my digital negs sit overnight to "cure" but
>>> sometimes,
>>> especially when doing a lot of testing, that is really inconvenient.
>>>
>>> How long have you found you need to let negs sit before using them without
>>> adverse consequences?
>>>
>>> I've sometimes used a hair dryer on the back of the negs, but I have no
>>> idea how long to do that or if there is some sign that the neg is ready
>>> for
>>> use when accelerating the process that way.
>>>
>>> I'm using an Epson 11880 on Pictorico Ultra film with both QTR (pt/pd) and
>>> straight driver (cyanotype).
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Bob

Richard Knoppow