[Alt-photo] digital neg drying

David Christensen agitprop at telus.net
Sun May 7 20:02:14 UTC 2017

Perhaps to sharper eyes than mine but I can't say I've noticed any
difference in the final carbon print whether I've dried the negative
overnight or after five minutes. I live in a dry climate and the RH is
pretty consistent throughout the year - if I remember to do it, I try to
print the digital negative the day before- just to be on the safe side.

David

On 2017-05-07 1:48 PM, `Richard Knoppow via Alt-photo-process-list wrote:
>    I am not familiar enough with the material used for digital
> negatives but if its anything like conventional film you want to avoid
> drying it too fast.  I assume its the ink that needs to be dried. Bob
> lives where the RH is mostly pretty high so some warming of the air
> will help drying. In Los Angeles the RH varies all over the place from
> tropical to desert. When we have our driest weather I have had roll
> film dry in ten minutes just hanging up. When it gets humid, as it is
> now, it may take many hours.
>
> On 5/7/2017 12:33 PM, Bob Cornelis via Alt-photo-process-list wrote:
>> David
>>
>> Thanks for sharing your experience.
>>
>> I was also curious if the only criteria for the neg being ready to
>> use is
>> that it not stick to the coated paper or if there are other qualities
>> that
>> change over time that can make a difference.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

>> Bob
>>
>> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 11:14 AM, David Christensen via
>> Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Bob - I've been printing digital negs on a 1430 using Pictorico
>>> Ultra and
>>> Piezography inks.  After about five minutes, I use a hairdryer on a low
>>> cool/warm setting and move it over the neg about 10 inches away for
>>> three
>>> minutes.  I've had no problems with the neg sticking to the carbon