[Alt-photo] Let's talk banding...

Kerik Kouklis kerik at kerik.com
Sun May 7 22:18:04 UTC 2017

This is a recurring problem I've had with both an Epson 3880 and 7880 printer. At times, I get banding perpendicular to the direction of print head movement.

I've confirmed this effect by printing the same image rotated 90 degrees. Check these links to see what I'm talking about. The problem is exaggerated in these images, but it's definitely there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97traw3fojk39pu/File%20May%2007%2C%202%2044%2023%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cw2tj01h792k3l1/File%20May%2007%2C%202%2044%2057%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

I ran a power cleaning and auto head alignment. That made things a little better. I then printed the negative again setting the platen gap to maximum, and that helped more, but I think it's still barely there.

I use QTR to make my negs. Obviously, this shows up much worse on foggy images or images with broad areas of even tones. Has anyone else seen this effect and do you have a fix for it or an explanation why it happens?

Thank you,
Kerik
www.kerik.com