[Alt-photo] Let's talk banding...

Bob Cornelis bob at colorfolio.com
Sun May 7 22:36:38 UTC 2017

Kerik

I had this same problem on my 11880 recently and tried all the normal
things - lines perpendicular to head movement and somewhat broad like this
are caused by head alignment issues, not nozzle clogs (which are sam
direction as head and much thinner). After repeated head alignments that
didn't help someone suggested that when I do the head alignment I should go
into the Head Alignment menu and make sure I'm selecting a glossy photo
paper type. On my printer that option is buried in the Paper Thickness part
of the alignment menu, so you may have to poke around. Then run the head
alignment on a glossy paper (I use Epson Glossy Photo) -  select the
Premium Glossy 250 paper type in the menu.

Whenever I've done this the problem has immediately disappeared - that's
the good news! The bad news is that, for me, the problem comes back after
some time and you have to run the head alignment again, which does chew up
a fair amount of paper. I didn't have this problem at all until I replaced
my 11880 about a year ago, but I've had to realign 3 times with the new
one. So it may be printer specific.

Bob

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Kerik Kouklis via Alt-photo-process-list <

> This is a recurring problem I've had with both an Epson 3880 and 7880
> printer. At times, I get banding perpendicular to the direction of print
> head movement.
>
> I've confirmed this effect by printing the same image rotated 90 degrees.
> Check these links to see what I'm talking about. The problem is exaggerated
> in these images, but it's definitely there.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/97traw3fojk39pu/File%20May%
> 2007%2C%202%2044%2023%20PM.jpeg?dl=0
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/cw2tj01h792k3l1/File%20May%
> 2007%2C%202%2044%2057%20PM.jpeg?dl=0
>
> I ran a power cleaning and auto head alignment. That made things a little
> better. I then printed the negative again setting the platen gap to
> maximum, and that helped more, but I think it's still barely there.
>
> I use QTR to make my negs. Obviously, this shows up much worse on foggy
> images or images with broad areas of even tones. Has anyone else seen this
> effect and do you have a fix for it or an explanation why it happens?
>
> Thank you,
> Kerik
> www.kerik.com

Color Folio