[Alt-photo] Let's talk banding...

Kerik Kouklis kerik at kerik.com
Tue May 9 17:11:41 UTC 2017

Walker,

Thanks for your input. But, answers bring more questions:

> Factor 1. There is not much ink that prints with default epson driver
> (that’s where QuadtoneRIP or QTR+Piezo is helpful)

I don't understand what you mean here with respect to head alignment and
banding. But, I am using QTR as I mentioned. And mainly with a 7880.

> Factor 2. The platen gap needs to be set to Narrow for this film and the
> thickness pattern setting to 1.

Interesting as setting the gap wider made things better in recent tests.
Also, do you mean setting thickness to 0.1mm? I found better results with
thickness set to "Standard", although I don't know what that actually means
as far as thickness goes.

> Factor 3. MANUAL head alignments need to be run, not auto. The light
> sensor doesn’t work very well on this film.

I will try that again.

> Factor 4. Paper feed speed can also be an issue. Often times a custom
> paper should be set (with aforementioned platen and thickness settings)
> that sets the A and B feed speeds to +8 and -8 respectively as a good
> starting point going to 0 as desired while testing by eyeball.

I've never fiddled with those settings. I will try +8 and -8. And what do
you mean testing by eyeball? What am I looking for?

> Factor 5. Front-load feeding will not work because this sets platen gap to
> widest (and thus you will have head alignment issues again). Modify the
> printer to disable star-wheels with rear or top feed.

Obviously doesn't apply to the 7880, but with the 3880 I place the
Pictorico on a thin cardboard carrier sheet to make up for the platen gap
since I haven't disabled the star wheels..