[Alt-photo] Curves and text files in QTR

Don donsbryant at gmail.com
Thu May 25 22:44:34 UTC 2017

You beat me too it! Thanks Clay!

-----Original Message-----
From: Alt-photo-process-list
Clay Harmon via Alt-photo-process-list
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:58 PM
To: alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org list
Cc: Clay Harmon
Subject: Re: [Alt-photo] Curves and text files in QTR

I've hacked on the .quad files on several warranty voiding exercises, and
all the file contains is an ordered list of 256 values that are positive
numbers between 0 and 32768 (2^15) for each ink jet head color. There is
nowhere in the file that subsequently calls or references the .acv file.

Clay
<alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org> wrote:

> If Clay is right about how the QTR .quad handles the linked .acv file,
then you do have to reinstall even if you don't change the path or filename.
I've never done what you are suggesting so my rambling is only speculation,
even though it is based on experience.

> ~ Keith
>
> Keith Schreiber
> jkschreiber.com
>

>> On May 25, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Felix Martin via Alt-photo-process-list
<alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org> wrote:

>> Yes it does make sense.
>>
>> Thats why I was trying to cheat by just overwriting the .acv with the
same name and path :)

>> I keep my original .acv's in the path of photoshop/presets/curves
>>
>> The ones in use for QTR are /applications/QuadToneRip/Profiles/UCP800
>>
>> My workflow is not of high volume, but I thought that might be
incorporated for fine tuning.
>> My way of thinking was to select a curve in QTR print a test, modify the
curve if needed (still in photoshop) and then do a save as to the right
/applications/QuadToneRip/Profiles/UCP800/ folder with the same name. Then
print and skip the recompile.

>> -F
>>

>>> On May 25, 2017, at 2:20 PM, Keith Schreiber via Alt-photo-process-list
<alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org> wrote:

>>> Based on what I remember from when I used to work that way and what
happened when I moved those files in the past, I think I can say with a high
degree of certainty that only the path and file name are embedded when you
install the curve. The contents of the file are not.

>>> Also note that you can change the text files "till the cows come home"
but if you don't reinstall them the changes will not take effect when you
use QTR.

>>> Hope that makes sense. :)
>>>
>>> ~ Keith

papers, landscape, skin tones, and effects I like).

curve and do the last fine running for those moments when I just printed my
final neg and
bit the mid point just a tad or raise mid-shadows without having to
recompile.

visually with the .acv and copy into the right folder.

.acv file externally or if it gets embedded in the compile.

RCS is

GrayCurve