[Alt-photo] epson p800 problems

Anne Chansonette chansonette at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 00:54:22 UTC 2017

Hi Keith,

     I was hoping this might be it---a clear cause and fix, but I think I
have more than one thing going on. The printer problems do need to be
addressed, but I am also seeing black specks after coating, before exposure
and without a negative in place, so it seems pretty clear that there is a
chemistry problem too. I have been trying everything---

I stopped tearing my paper using a stainless steel rule and used the edge
of a piece of glass instead and have been making sure there is no contact
with any metal at any point.
I have replaced chemicals with fresh ones.
I have developed and cleared out my brushes, as well as trying new brushes.
I put new droppers in all bottles.
I stopped using, for now anyway, my beakers for soaking brushes, shot
glasses for sensitizer, etc and have been using only brand new, clean,
disposable containers.

And still, I am getting black specks.

My preferred method for palladium printing is to use Ferric #1 and Na2 on
HPR. However, one test I have done is making me suspicious of the Ferric
#1. I tried coating with FeO#1 and FeO#2 instead of the Na2, and found that
if I used more FeO2 and less FeO1, I saw very little black plague, tough of
course the contrast levels are all off then. I've been buying FeO#1 in
solution from Bostick and Sullivan. Chris suggested I try buying from
Artcraft instead. What do you think? Also, I had some Rives paper here from
gumming so just out of curiosity I coated a little of that---the problem
was much worse than on the HPR---larger black spots and more of them.

I'll start tackling the printer and will definitely check your website for
that info, but am pretty sure I have contamination somewhere in the
sensitizing process. I suppose it could be in the environment, but I can't
think what would cause that.

I'm such a fan of your work, Keith---thanks so much for taking the time to
help me.

Best,
Anne