[Alt-photo] Chromoskedasic Painting again....

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 15:04:30 UTC 2017

Laura,

Glossy.

Fiber or RC (I much prefer fiber).

Was your solution warm (e.g. mix the activator and stabilizer in 500 ml hot water, 250 ml activator, 125 stabilizer, 125 ml Ecopro)?

I have the students develop the print in print developer (we use Dektol) first for up to 60 seconds just to get the blacks to appear. Then the print is drained and goes face up into the tray of chromo.

Silver plating will only appear in the whites. You can test your solution this way. Take an unexposed strip of glossy Ilford and put it in the tray face up. You should see it turn gray fairly quickly. Leave it still and watch the gray creeping and then it will start fluorescing if you look at it obliquely. Then wash, fix, hypo clear, dry, but never touch the surface with fingers or tongs as it’ll scratch. It should look essentially like a mirror. William Jolly called it silver mirror printing, in fact, in an article in PhotoTechnique magazine decades ago.

I have not heard of any reformulation of Ilford paper in the last year since the last time I taught the lab. Heaven help me if that is the case and I have 16 disappointed students on Thursday.

I do know that in order to manufacture the solutions, Eric at Freestyle said the amounts are so minute that they make about 400 units (which if memory serves, the units were gallons) at one time to make a correct batch. I have not tried the Moersch so maybe that is my next thing to test to see if it performs exactly the same. When I was able to get the chems to silver out and work back in perhaps was it 2009, I then worked closely with Alan Bean and Freestyle to test different chems to see which ones worked well. There was one set that they were going to carry that did not work as well for me. The other set did and it is now the Arista Chromo label.

It would be fantastic if Moersch worked; am very interested in that.

But all in all, the colors tend mostly to a deep burnt orange, and from memory Lam adds paint to many of his chromos, btw.

Also, one sort of iteration of the chromo is the Halochrome toner from Rockland Colloid. That silvers out the blacks, not the whites, on an already completed print. It is expensive, and unfortunately cannot be shipped to Europe either, but someone with a BW chemistry background could look at the MSDS of this and the Arista chromo and come up with why the silver occurs I would think, and reverse engineer a foolproof solution.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/18383-Rockland-Colloid-Halochrome-(Makes-64-oz.)

Chris