[Alt-photo] problem installing qtr files

Kees Brandenburg workshops at polychrome.nl
Tue Oct 10 09:48:27 UTC 2017

About the quadtonerip mac long filename error:

I also tried installing a profile.txt file with a 40+ character name. The same happened as with the installation of a too long .quad file.
The quad printer breaks completely because the approprioate printer description file (ppd) can’t be installed.

This is the error message: “lpadmin: Unable to open PPD “/tmp/quad.ppd”: Illegal option keyword string on line 175.” The string in line 175 is the too long profile… Line numbers may be different in your case.

But in Library/Printers/QTR/quadtone/Quad7890 (or any other printer you use) the too long profile is installed!
Conclusion: installing a 40+ character .quad or .txt profile breaks your printer but does install a quad file. There’s a quick fix: just remove the profile from Library/Printers/QTR/quadtone/Your_quad_printer and run the printers profile installer again.

if you can’t see your root Library folder go to the finder menu ‘Go’ and choose ‘Go to Folder…’ Then type Library/Printers/QTR/quadtone and click…

best,

Kees

PS I don’t know if there is also a windows version of this error...