[Alt-photo] back to black plague...

Denny dspector at charter.net
Wed Oct 11 13:49:04 UTC 2017

Anne, congratulations on the exhibit.

There are many possible sources for the spots to originate, so I think it's up to each printer to identify and fix the problem.
The possible sources I'm aware of include:

paper
chemistry
water
brushes
metal introduced inadvertently from trimming the paper with metal utensils
bits of metal circulating in the air
possibly the exposure unit (rusty hinges or hardware?)

I can't think of any other causes, maybe someone else will add to the list.

Ultimately, the source can be identified and fixed by carefully eliminating one variable at a time.

Denny