[Alt-photo] Alt-photo-process-list Digest, Vol 177, Issue 5

MARK NELSON ender100 at aol.com
Wed Oct 11 20:32:15 UTC 2017

Anne,

Do you know for sure when the spots appear?  At what point in the process of making the print?

Water:  Do you used distilled water for everything?

Have you tried a different brush?  I keep some unused foam brushes in a zip lock bag to test if I think I might have a brush problem.  I don’t use them to coat when I am making prints.

Have you examined your paper with a backlight?

Usually I can see the difference between a “black spot” that is from a pinhole in the negative and something else like grit or crystalline palladium.  (if it’s in the sky, use a pencil and make it into a bird hehehe)

Have you ever had someone watch you make a print and look for possibilities?  There are things we do or rituals almost that we really don’t even think about when we do them.  When I have students at my home studio, they love it because they see these small things that have become a part of my workflow that I can’t do at away workshops.

I don’t think one can always get perfect prints.  They are indeed hand made and small imperfections are normal.  Though I wouldn’t want a black spot in the middle of a near white area.

Sam Wang always says that hand made prints in the future will be prized for their small imperfections.

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson

Welcome to the Precision Digital Negatives Home! <http://www.precisiondigitalnegatives.com/>