[Alt-photo] Luis Nadeau

Christina Z. Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 14:09:40 UTC 2017

There’s a lot about woodburytype. Woodburytype uses a lead mould that is formed by pressing an exposed dichromated gelatin relief in lead with an hydrolic press. This mould is then filled with warm pigmented gelatin and printed. The new direct digital approach he researched uses CNC milling and 3d printing to prepare a printing mould for woodburytype!
> Aint’t that cool… no hydrolic press needed anymore!
>
> Here it is:
>
> http://bit.ly/McCallionPhDThesis <http://bit.ly/McCallionPhDThesis>

WOW Kees,

That in itself would bring the woodburytype back into more common practice, another example along with digital negatives that makes alt more accessible!

A couple years ago I was teaching the hard resist chemigram, where you coat bw paper with an acrylic varnish of some sort and incise it with lines and then go back and forth into developer and fixer to get that tree ring effect a la Pierre Cordier’s invention. One of my students wondered if it would work with a laser printer, one of those that architects use to cut wood pieces and people use to incise designs on glass, etc. etc. etc. Sure enough, two students got it to work, incising the photographic paper coated with varnish and then doing the chemigram from that. It has great possibilities if one has access to a laser printer of combining any type of digital drawing, design, pattern, even photograph, with the physico-chemical reaction of the process. In this case with the woodburytype same if one has access to a 3D printer. But most colleges have both. I know the architecture school here allows people to come in and print as long as the manager is there in the lab, and they have both  a laser printer and a 3D printer.