[Alt-photo] Christopher James - terminology question

Keith Schreiber keith at jkschreiber.com
Fri Oct 27 20:10:30 UTC 2017

John,

The Ware formula has a longer tonal range (lower contrast) by 2-3 stops, and smoother (less gritty) tones as well. Exposure time is significantly faster than the classic Herschel method using ferric ammonium citrate. Paper is a huge variable with cyanotype. As is consistency in processing - longer wash reduces density especially in the highlights and mid-tones.

When you are talking about step-tablets, it is useful to know whether you are talking about a digital step-tablet or an analog one such as those made by Stouffer. In my opinion, it is very useful to get acquainted with any process using a Stouffer step-tablet before even thinking about digital negatives. You will learn more from this about the characteristics of the process than from all the trial and error shooting in the dark premature messing around with digital negs in the world. I like the 4x5 21-step (TP 4x5) rather than the strip type.

A stop is a known quantity. One stop equals 0.30 density units. This does not change. On an analog step tablet with 21-steps, each step is 0.15, so 2 steps equals 1 stop. On a 31-step, each step equals 0.10, so 3 steps equals 1 stop.

If you really want to get a handle on steps and stops and practical photographic sensitometry, I highly recommend "Beyond The Zone System" by Phil Davis.

The beauty of digital negatives is that we can tailor them to the whatever process (and variables of the process) that we are using. Once you have figured out the correct minimum exposure time to achieve maximum density, a full-tonal scale can be achieved via a variety of methods. I haven't used the method you are using, but I have no doubt it is quite capable. But you really have to figure out all of your process parameters BEFORE starting to work with digital negatives because a change in anything will require recalibrating the negative.

I've been printing mostly platinum/palladium for over 25 years. I've recently started doing cyanotype with a student new to alternative processes and am surprised to find just how much of a moving target it is compared to Pt/Pd. And we haven't even started toning yet!

Cheers,
Keith

Keith Schreiber
jkschreiber.com