[Alt-photo] List for meters

Karen hymer karenhymer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 15:23:55 UTC 2017


Thank you for compiling the  list of buyers. Would you be so kind as to publish it here before sending it on so each of us can be sure we are  n it?
Thank you 

Karen Hymer
Sent from my iPhone
 📷🛶🌵⚽️

> On Sep 6, 2017, at 8:08 AM, alt-photo-process-list-request at lists.altphotolist.org wrote:
> 
> Send Alt-photo-process-list mailing list submissions to
>    alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    https://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/alt-photo-process-list
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    alt-photo-process-list-request at lists.altphotolist.org
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    alt-photo-process-list-owner at lists.altphotolist.org
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Alt-photo-process-list digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Re:  Alt-photo-process-list Digest, Vol 172, Issue 12
>      (Greg Brophy)
>   2. Re:  UV exposure meter: answer from Ian Parker,
>      lightmeasure.com (CatherineCostolo)
>   3. Re:  UV exposure meter: answer from Ian Parker,
>      lightmeasure.com (Don Bryant)
>   4. Re:  Exposure Unit (Greg Brophy)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 09:17:42 -0400
> From: Greg Brophy <greg at gregbrophy.com>
> To: alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org
> Subject: Re: [Alt-photo] Alt-photo-process-list Digest, Vol 172, Issue
>    12
> Message-ID: <D4A64FC2-8526-4734-A953-79A458F2210D at gregbrophy.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;    charset=us-ascii
> 
> Hi Kees, 
> 
> Thanks for that. That may have been true with the sensor he used. Most UV sensors out there are do not read UV light, they make a calculation based on total light, I think there are new ones that only read UV light and reach their peak at 355n. I will probably keep trying to make it out of sheer curiosity, but I will also buy one as well from Ian since the whole reason I started this was because I wanted one. 
> 
> Greg
> 
>> On Sep 6, 2017, at 8:00 AM, alt-photo-process-list-request at lists.altphotolist.org wrote:
>> 
>> Send Alt-photo-process-list mailing list submissions to
>>   alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org
>> 
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>   https://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/alt-photo-process-list
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>   alt-photo-process-list-request at lists.altphotolist.org
>> 
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>   alt-photo-process-list-owner at lists.altphotolist.org
>> 
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of Alt-photo-process-list digest..."
>> 
>> 
>> Today's Topics:
>> 
>>  1. Re:  Exposure Unit (Kees Brandenburg)
>>  2.  UV exposure meter: answer from Ian Parker,    lightmeasure.com
>>     (Kees Brandenburg)
>>  3. Re:  UV exposure meter: answer from Ian Parker,
>>     lightmeasure.com (Philippe Ayral)
>> 
>> 
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 09:10:13 +0200
>> From: Kees Brandenburg <workshops at polychrome.nl>
>> To: alt-photo-process-list
>>   <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>
>> Subject: Re: [Alt-photo] Exposure Unit
>> Message-ID: <F4D523E8-7E87-445D-8E28-8418776D04A1 at polychrome.nl>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>> 
>> The lightmeasure meters use a set of high & low pass UV filters above the sensor to narrow the spectrum.
>> 
>> -k
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 10:33:28 -0400
> From: CatherineCostolo <mikes1mom at comcast.net>
> To: Philippe Ayral <payral at gmail.com>,
>    alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org
> Subject: Re: [Alt-photo] UV exposure meter: answer from Ian Parker,
>    lightmeasure.com
> Message-ID: <5DF5AC6E-D785-4C15-84F8-8E75D3939086 at comcast.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain;    charset=utf-8
> 
> Thanks, Kees!
> Catherine
> 
> Catherine Costolo 
> Independent Beauty Consultant with Mary Kay Cosmetics (770)405-8977
> (404)291-2181 (cell)
> Visit my website 24/7 www.marykay.com/ccostolo
> Happiness is like jam.....you can't spread it around without getting a little on yourself.
> 
> 
>> On Sep 6, 2017, at 4:56 AM, Philippe Ayral via Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org> wrote:
>> 
>> I confirm by mail my wish to buy that meter directly to Ian.
>> Thanks for making that possible.
>> 
>> *Philippe Ayral* *Photographie*
>> 52, rue de Vallard - 74240 Gaillard
>> T?l: 04 50 39 79 81
>> www.payral.fr
>> 
>> 2017-09-06 9:42 GMT+02:00 Kees Brandenburg via Alt-photo-process-list <
>> alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>:
>> 
>>> Dear list,
>>> 
>>> This week I have contacted Ian Parker and asked him if he was willing to:
>>> 
>>> ? produce and ship a number of pre-ordered meters
>>> ? open source the design
>>> 
>>> Here is Ian?s answer and it?s good news!
>>> 
>>> I will now collect the list of interested buyers form the thread(s) here
>>> and send them to Ian. New buyers can contact Ian directly:
>>> info.lightmeasure at gmail.com. The new meters will be long wavelenth with
>>> external sensor only and the prize will be $299. Production lead will be
>>> 4-6 weeks.
>>> 
>>> Kees
>>> 
>>> ================
>>> 
>>> Hello Kees,
>>> 
>>> How very nice to hear from you and thank you for the explanation. I
>>> actually suspected there might be an active thread on a list somewhere
>>> since I have, indeed, received several recent inquiries about the meters.
>>> 
>>> You asked a couple of question in your email:
>>> 1) Would I consider open-sourcing the design? There are a few challenging
>>> technical steps in building the meters, which might make this approach
>>> unfeasible for some artists. The hardest is fabricating the UV filter with
>>> the correct characteristics so the meter will measure only the range of UV
>>> wavelengths that our plates/papers/materials respond to but not other
>>> wavelengths (including visible light). This is pretty tricky to do without
>>> the proper tools. I had to custom design a combination of 4 filters to
>>> achieve this and it required access to specialized optical instruments to
>>> measure their optical transmission - tools which most artists/photographers
>>> would not have ready access to.
>>> 
>>> 2) Would I consider a custom order for more meters? The answer to this is
>>> probably yes - assuming I could get a commitment from a sufficient number
>>> of customers, and with a few caveats:
>>> i) Since I have significantly depleted my existing inventory I would need
>>> to restock on many components, and would therefore need a commitment for at
>>> least 40 orders to make this viable.
>>> ii) Also I will need to increase the price (!) - sorry about that but the
>>> previous price point of $220 really doesn't work without volume of scale
>>> (which is the reason that we closed the store in the first place). I'll
>>> need to set the price at $299. I realize this might be a problem for many
>>> people, but it's an unfortunate fact. Again, sorry.
>>> iii) Since I will need to reorder much of the inventory there will be an
>>> inevitable delay of 4-6 weeks before I could ship. One of the major
>>> components has a 4 week lead time.
>>> iv) To keep things manageable I'll probably only offer the PPM-2 long
>>> wavelength version (with the external sensor). This was, by far, our most
>>> popular version, and I expect that most people would order this anyway.
>>> 
>>> So how to proceed? Might I suggest that you circulate this to the
>>> alt-list, and ask people to contact me at the following email address if
>>> interested? If I receive enough responses I'll reopen the store and start
>>> accepting orders.
>>> 
>>> contact at:  info.lightmeasure at gmail.com.
>>> 
>>> Thanks Kees, it was nice talking with you again.
>>> 
>>> Best regards,
>>> Ian
>>> 
>>> www.LightMeasure.com
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Alt-photo-process-list | altphotolist.org
>>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Alt-photo-process-list | altphotolist.org
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 11:05:25 -0400
> From: "Don Bryant" <donsbryant at gmail.com>
> To: "'Kees Brandenburg'" <workshops at polychrome.nl>,
>    <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>
> Subject: Re: [Alt-photo] UV exposure meter: answer from Ian Parker,
>    lightmeasure.com
> Message-ID: <89DA67EE66234CE186D475C652A4403D at FireBreather>
> Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Thanks Kees. I'm pleasantly surprised by this turn of events.
> 
> Don Bryant
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alt-photo-process-list
> [mailto:alt-photo-process-list-bounces at lists.altphotolist.org] On Behalf Of
> Kees Brandenburg via Alt-photo-process-list
> Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 3:42 AM
> To: alt-photo-process-list
> Subject: [Alt-photo] UV exposure meter: answer from Ian
> Parker,lightmeasure.com
> 
> Dear list,
> 
> This week I have contacted Ian Parker and asked him if he was willing to:
> 
> . produce and ship a number of pre-ordered meters
> . open source the design
> 
> Here is Ian's answer and it's good news!
> 
> I will now collect the list of interested buyers form the thread(s) here and
> send them to Ian. New buyers can contact Ian directly:
> info.lightmeasure at gmail.com. The new meters will be long wavelenth with
> external sensor only and the prize will be $299. Production lead will be 4-6
> weeks.
> 
> Kees
> 
> ================
> 
> Hello Kees,
> 
> How very nice to hear from you and thank you for the explanation. I actually
> suspected there might be an active thread on a list somewhere since I have,
> indeed, received several recent inquiries about the meters.
> 
> You asked a couple of question in your email:
> 1) Would I consider open-sourcing the design? There are a few challenging
> technical steps in building the meters, which might make this approach
> unfeasible for some artists. The hardest is fabricating the UV filter with
> the correct characteristics so the meter will measure only the range of UV
> wavelengths that our plates/papers/materials respond to but not other
> wavelengths (including visible light). This is pretty tricky to do without
> the proper tools. I had to custom design a combination of 4 filters to
> achieve this and it required access to specialized optical instruments to
> measure their optical transmission - tools which most artists/photographers
> would not have ready access to.
> 
> 2) Would I consider a custom order for more meters? The answer to this is
> probably yes - assuming I could get a commitment from a sufficient number of
> customers, and with a few caveats:
> i) Since I have significantly depleted my existing inventory I would need to
> restock on many components, and would therefore need a commitment for at
> least 40 orders to make this viable. 
> ii) Also I will need to increase the price (!) - sorry about that but the
> previous price point of $220 really doesn't work without volume of scale
> (which is the reason that we closed the store in the first place). I'll need
> to set the price at $299. I realize this might be a problem for many people,
> but it's an unfortunate fact. Again, sorry.
> iii) Since I will need to reorder much of the inventory there will be an
> inevitable delay of 4-6 weeks before I could ship. One of the major
> components has a 4 week lead time.
> iv) To keep things manageable I'll probably only offer the PPM-2 long
> wavelength version (with the external sensor). This was, by far, our most
> popular version, and I expect that most people would order this anyway.
> 
> So how to proceed? Might I suggest that you circulate this to the alt-list,
> and ask people to contact me at the following email address if interested?
> If I receive enough responses I'll reopen the store and start accepting
> orders.
> 
> contact at:  info.lightmeasure at gmail.com.
> 
> Thanks Kees, it was nice talking with you again.
> 
> Best regards,
> Ian 
> 
> www.LightMeasure.com
> _______________________________________________
> Alt-photo-process-list | altphotolist.org
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 11:08:09 -0400
> From: Greg Brophy <greg at gregbrophy.com>
> To: don at sweetlegal.co.nz
> Cc: alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org
> Subject: Re: [Alt-photo] Exposure Unit
> Message-ID: <16949365-75FB-4E83-AA45-CCB910A4A1B7 at gregbrophy.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;    charset=utf-8
> 
> This is the UV sensor I was thinking of using and the specs. http://www.vishay.com/docs/84277/veml6070.pdf Range of spectral sensitivity 320nm to 410nm Peak sensitivity wavelength 355nm
> 
>> On Sep 5, 2017, at 9:31 PM, don at sweetlegal.co.nz wrote:
>> 
>> Hi Greg
>> 
>> If you are reading the UV sensor values at regular intervals into an Arduino, this sketch may help.  It is said to produce a running average of the values.  Displaying that and the elapsed time would give you a quick way of calculating the dose.
>> 
>> https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Smoothing
>> 
>> Don Sweet
>> 
>>> On 2017-09-06 02:04, Greg Brophy via Alt-photo-process-list wrote:
>>> Hi Don and Larry. Thanks for the interest. I am using Arduino with the
>>> ML8511 sensor and I need to figure out how to code for dose.
>>> ?Radiant exposure (H), is dose, and is described in joules (unit of
>>> energy) per square meter (J m2) or joules per square centimeter (J
>>> cm2). Note that a watt is a joule per second thus the dose rate (W
>>> cm2) multiplied by the exposure duration (seconds) equals dose (J
>>> cm2).?
>>> So basically I need to create a timer, then multiply that with the W cm2.
>>> I just found out the sensor I am using is no longer available and will
>>> have to find a new one.
>>> I am using the basic code that was provided with the sensor.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Greg
>>>> On Sep 4, 2017, at 6:18 PM, Larry Ogrodnek <ogrodnek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Hey Greg, that sounds really great!  Would love to hear about it when you are ready to share.
>>>> I have some C firmware experience and may be able to help depending on what you need.
>>>> I used to make/sell some LED nametag kits (http://analogmachines.com/p/nametag/) and have some experience in basic/amateur hardware/software work...
>>>> thanks,
>>>> larry
>>>>> On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Greg Brophy via Alt-photo-process-list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org> wrote:
>>>>> I also wanted to order one of the light measure UV meters and was disappointed that it was discontinued. I went on Facebook and some people pointed me in the right direction for creating my own which I am now in the process of doing. I have a prototype I am working on and am just trying to fix a few kinks in the code, but when done I will share how to do it or if people don't want to make it, I can make it as well. I also plan on making a few improvements like touch screens. The best part is that most of the parts are open source and what isn't can easily be printed with a 3-D printer. I will send out updates as I get closer. If anybody know how to program in C++ and wants to help, let me know.
>>>>> Greg
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Alt-photo-process-list | altphotolist.org
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Alt-photo-process-list | altphotolist.org
>> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Subject: Digest Footer
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Alt-photo-process-list | altphotolist.org
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of Alt-photo-process-list Digest, Vol 172, Issue 13
> *******************************************************


More information about the Alt-photo-process-list mailing list