[Alt-photo] [Alt-Photo] Wet Plate Collodion Sensivity Filterfor Normal Film

`Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 10 23:27:57 UTC 2017

     I don't know what blue sensitive or "color blind" film is
available. At one time Kodak Release positive was available for making
B&W prints of motion pictures was also available as sheet film for
making lantern slides but its long gone. Its emulsion was similar to
bromide printing paper. Very slow stuff.
    Blue sensitive or "color blind" emulsions distort the tonal
rendition of a scene, especially colors. Lips tend to be rendered black
and skin blemishes are exaggerate. Blue sensitive film was available for
many years for special purposes including those were accurate gray scale
rendition of color was not necessary. "Commercial" films tended to be of
the color blind type.
     I am not sure when orthochromatic films were introduced. They are
sensitive to green as well as blue, some are sensitive into the yellow
range. They have much better rendition of color than color blind films.
Ortho films were the standard of the motion picture industry until about
the introduction of sound when the change in lighting from arc to
incandescent, necessary because the old arc lighting was noisy, required
a film more sensitive to the predominantly red output of tungsten
lighting. This, in turn, required a complete change in makeup, costume
design, the way sets were painted and more. Also, early pan films tended
to be lower in contrast and grainier than ortho film so of the time so
there was some resistance to using it. Another factor was that early
motion picture practice was to develop negatives by inspection, not
possible with  pan.
    Ortho was useful for "character" portraits since it tended to
exaggerate skin textures, thought desirable for male portraits. So you
will find films like Kodak Ortho Portrait listed in the older books. The
overall rendition is partly due to the spectral sensitivity and partly
due to the overall curve of the films. There are still some ortho films
made but I think the choice is limited.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk at ix.netcom.com